BEIJING (AP) – PGA Tour is suspending two qualifying tournaments and the start of its PGA Tour Series-China circuit due to concerns over coronavirus.
A pick tournament for players from mainland China had already relocated to Indonesia.
On Wednesday, tour officials said the qualifying tournaments will be postponed to late April or early May. The last full week of March was supposed to begin. Now the ten-tournament schedule won’t start until late May or early June, depending on the situation.
The season was supposed to begin on March 26, 26 with the Sania Championship, followed by the three weeks of the Haikou Classic, the Chongqing Championship and the Guangzhou Open.
The tour is planning a 10-tournament schedule, with top finishers on the Money Money list ahead of the Corner Ferry Tour.
“We have looked at the situation very closely and scrutinized it and we have not taken this decision lightly. After consulting with various companies, we have determined that the best program of the time is to postpone qualifying tournaments and start the regular season, “said Greg Carlson, executive director of the PGA Tour Series-China.
“This is a major international health issue, and we will do our best to ensure the safety and well-being of our players and everyone else associated with these two tournaments.”
Carlson said the players who have signed up have been notified. They will have the option of going to the re-election or returning their application fee.